Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Grand Theft!!!!

by SonDog

In today's Daily Dime on ESPN.com, West Coast expert Ric Bucher writes about the MVP race.

Here's an example from the story: "MVP has a variety of meanings. For some, it's MEP, or the league's Most Excellent Player. For others, it's MVPOAWT, or Most Valuable Player on a Winning Team. Here's a popular one: MSIPOATTWBTE or Most Statistically Impressive Player on a Team That Was Better Than Expected. Generally, the easiest and safest pick is MVPOTBT: Most Valuable Player on the Best Team. This year has brought a new one to the mix: MDPDTSOATTFS, or Most Dominant Player Down the Stretch on a Team that Finished Strong. And, finally, there's MIP, or Most Indispensable Player, as in the guy whose team would absolutely fall apart without him."

For those of you who have read Mile High Ramblings for a while, you might remember a post I had back in December titled New Statistic - SaoTSARBoE - A Fan's Guide to Efficiency. I actually wrote an entire article mocking the ridiculous acronyms and statistics that sportswriters tend to invent on a daily basis. The post actually was pretty popular on this site and the FoxSports blogging contest in which I participated.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn here... but toot-toot mutha fu**a! In the vast expanse that is my mind, I believe Bucher took a peek at SaoTSARBoE to come up with the idea to use ridiculous acronyms like MDPDTSOATTFS and MVPOTBT. Or, I could just be dreaming that there are more than three people who actually read this. Regardless, I'm going with the "Bucher stole my idea" theory. I have absolutely no ground to substantiate that claim, but it's working well for me, thanks for asking. (If you can't tell by now, I'm reaching for a connection harder than Bill Walton comparing DeSagana Diop to Wilt Chamberlain.)

On a side note, I am planning on doing an SaoTSARBoE analysis during a first-round playoff game for the Kings. I'm speculating here, but I have a feeling that Bonzi Wells' propensity to turn the ball over by dribbling it off of his feet is going to lead to some SaoTSARBoe (ironic since he was the most efficient SaoTSARBoe King in my December rant). Ron-Ron Artest may get a perfect score, in part because I'm deadly afraid of ever pissing that guy off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're an idiot.

Anonymous said...

I can't argue with that analysis.

Anonymous said...

glamerica, thanks man. Sorry for the West Coast bias, if you watch ESPN on a daily day too, then you should have a good balance. Do you watch the Nats or the Birds? I'm going to see Baltimore and Texas in a few weeks in Arilington. Looking forward to seeing Tejada in person.