Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Mind of (depressed) Kings Fans -- Playoff Edition

by SonDog

The following is an email exchange between OZ and SonDog, two die-hard Sacramento Kings fans, following the team's heartbreaking game 2 loss to the San Antonio Spurs on Tuesday night.

OZ -- It stings. Bad.

Bibby, who is usually Clutchy McCluctherson, was absolutely awful all game. Wells played for a contract and Miller deserves the Peja award. The only bright spot was Martin.

SonDog -- I blame it all on Jason Hart, just because he sucks. Seriously, Bibby's defense is appalling (especially for turning his head on that final possession in regulation and letting Brent Barry stand wide open at the three point line. My commentary to Rocky went something like, "They just have to guard the three... oh, sweet Jesus... BIBBY?!?!?!?" It bears mentioning that I went into a profanity laced tirade at that point.). When Reggie Miller is on the air wondering aloud, "Why haven't the Kings made any adjustments?" you have to start asking your coaching staff some serious questions (which I'm sure the Maloof's will).

Kevin Martin and Shareef both played exceptional, but Martin still isn't a player you can exactly "go to." Most of his buckets came on fast breaks and kick-outs from double teams. Brad Miller is officially on the Houdini list. He joins Peja Stojakovic and Brandon Lloyd in the illustrious three-man group. I don't even know if Miller understands that it's the playoffs at this point.


Hi, I'm Jason Hart. I really don't contribute much to this team, and I didn't do a damned thing on Tuesday night. You'll invariably see more of me on Friday.

OZ -- Shareef was exceptional for 47:56 of the game. But missing that unbelievably wide-open jumper for the game-winner was unforgivable. He slipped back to old form for the overtime debacle. He did however get the most air I've seen since he became a King on that dunk, easily surpassing his previous mark of 2 inches.

I've been defending Bibby all morning (pun intended) as he was clearly held up by a moving screen the size of, well, Tim Duncan. The .2 seconds it takes Barry to shoot the ball was unavoidable. Not withstanding the horrible defensive effort Bibby put out all night, the Spurs are going to get their shot coming out of a full timeout with as many weapons as they had.

SonDog -- Bibby was at the elbow. Even Charles Barkley was pointing out that you absolutely cannot leave a shooter on the weak-side open for 3 ("First of all, Bibby can't leave Barry... because first of all...). Barkley!! Mike's head was staring at Ginobili driving in for 2, which was meaningless since they were up by three. It was a defensive lapse at a critical moment. YOU DON'T LEAVE A THREE-POINT SHOOTER OPEN WITH THE OTHER TEAM DOWN BY THREE!!!

I couldn't believe Reef missed that shot. He didn't seem to miss many of those all year. Sadly, you knew it wasn't going in as soon as it left his hands. That being said, it could have been the best all-around game I've seen him play this year.

OZ -- I've never seen the ball leave his hands from a jump shot, or free throw for that matter, and thought it was going in. It doesn't seem that mathematically the ball would be able to enter the cylinder when it comes to the structure in a perfectly straight line, which is why others rely on an arch trajectory to increase the probability of success. How does a person make it to the NBA without getting this into their head? Who were these coaches?

SonDog -- Decedents of Rick Adelman, who coincidentally teaches defense about as well as you could teach Taiwanese.

OZ -- If it were my profession, and I was paid miiilllions of dollars ("miiilllions of dollars" spoken in a Dr. Evil accent) I can absolutely guarantee I'd be fluent in Taiwanese.

SonDog -- At least you would know to tell your guys, "Hey, just make sure you don't leave any three point shooters open in the closing seconds with the Spurs down by three. Don't worry about double-teaming Nazr Muhammad and forget about doubling Ginobili if he drives inside. JUST DON'T LEAVE A THREE POINT SHOOTER OPEN!!!" Have I mentioned that I can't believe they left a three-point shooter open?

OZ -- I'm done. I can't talk about this anymore.

SonDog -- DON'T LEAVE A THREE POINT SHOOTER OPEN!!!

No comments: