Friday, November 25, 2005

I'm Thankful

by BH

First of all, I'm thankful that there are three people out there that actually read this stuff. I try to write things I'm interested in, and I hope that translates to anyone who reads this. I try to keep what I write intelligent and thoughtful, without being too cynical about the world. Now, back to your regularly scheduled cynicism...I mean, uh, observations.

I'm thankful for the worldwide leader in sports that is ESPN. From the organization's television broadcasts, to its radio, website, and original programming, I and others are never without fodder about which to write. Right now, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Skip Bayless, Steve Phillips, Joe Morgan, Gary Thorn, Larry Bowa, Stephen A. Smith, Erik Kuselias, John Sybel, Sean Salisbury, John Kruk, and others who are so bad at their jobs that they give me nothing but gold ("It's gold Jerry...GOLD!") with which to work.

I'm thankful for the mute button on my remote. It has never been more useful than during the last baseball postseason. As I have mentioned in previous posts, Thom Brenneman, Steve Lyons, Tim McCarver, and Joe Buck have the ability to take an other wise nice baseball moment and ruin it. They're like bizarro sportscasters. There is no doubt in my mind that FOX is trying to ruin baseball in order to make room for more gems like The War at Home.

I'm thankful for sweet potato pie. I had never had it prior to about two months ago, so I decided to make it one evening. Damn was it good. I made it for Thanksgiving desert for the whole family and it didn't turn out quite as well as the first time. I guess that just means the rest of the family won't want any more, and more will be left for me.

I'm thankful for the recent good play of the San Francisco Forty-Niners. If there can be a good 2-8, the Niners are it. I worry though that Ken Dorsey's going to be just good enough over the next six weeks to keep Alex Smith out of the starting lineup. It's kind of like watching Michael Tucker continuing to start in right field. You know there's no point, because the future of the organization is on the bench. My hope is that they continue to play good, close games, only to lose, finishing with a 2-14 record and opening the door for a Reggie Bush #1 draft pick (if he leaves USC).

I'm thankful the Broncos beat the Cowboys yesterday. My dislike for the Cowboys springs from the 90's Cowboys/Niners clashes, as well as the phrase, "America's Team." Both these teams do things right though. When I watch Denver and Dallas, I see two teams that just go out and play good, hard football. For the most part, a five yard run is not followed by a fifteen yard happy dance up the field. It pains me to say it, but I like watching Dallas play. I just like Denver more.

I hope everyone had a good Thankgiving and a good four days off. Be careful putting up your Christmas lights. Remember, the top step of the ladder is not really a step.

No comments: