Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Wow, He Really Was Broke

by SonDog

Last week I commented on Scottie Pippen's "comeback." In that post, I made up a quote for Scottie that went something along the lines of, "I'm broke, biatch, I'm broke!!"

According to the Chicago Sun-Times:
  • Barely one week after Scottie Pippen announced he was hoping to end his three-year retirement from the NBA and make a comeback at 41, a major creditor lined up to collect on any big bucks the former Bulls star might earn.
  • It was reported Thursday that the Missouri Court of Appeals has upheld a ruling from last year in St. Louis County in which a judge agreed that Pippen owed U.S. Bank about $5.021 million in principal, interest and attorney fees from a dispute over a private jet and company Pippen once owned.
  • ''That's all part of some litigation that has been on the table for some time,'' Pippen told the Sun-Times on Thursday from his home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. ''I really don't have any more comment on it. My lawyer and I are still working to resolve it.''
  • Pippen said the charter-plane issue is one of many poor business decisions that were made primarily by a former agent, whom he blames for causing him to lose about $27 million in bad investments and questionable accounting. Pippen sued his former law firm in 2005, claiming he had been swindled, but he lost the case.

Um, can I at least sign a 10-day contract?

3 comments:

Leonard Peltier said...

As a Bulls fan, I don't like to knock Scottie Pippen. He was listed as one of the 50 Greatest NBA players of all time, and was an integral part of all 6 championship teams. But when you go around making comments like this....well, it's hard to take him seriously.

"I think people love me just as much as they love Michael," Pippen said. "The fans who understand the game, the GMs and coaches. I think they'd rather have a Scottie than a Michael. Because I'm an all-around player. Coaches would rather have a Scottie-type player than a Michael. I was an all-around player. I made people around me better."

Wow.

the butler said...

I'm with Leonard...I remember when I was always trying to point out how good Pippen was to bandwagon Jordan lovers...but rather have him than Michael?

I can't even think of an example of a comparison outrageous enough to compete with that. The all-around stuff is all true, but damn, Scottie, let's leave the greatest player of all-time out of this for now.

Let's rephrase Scottie's quote and make it rational:
"Coaches would rather have a Scottie-type player than a Keith Van Horn." There. That's much better.

Leonard Peltier said...

Much better, indeed. This ridiculous quote has got to be a red flag for any coach or GM that's considering signing Pip. Can't say for sure that the guy's all there upstairs.