Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Olympic Post #2

posted by BH

My posts have been infrequent over the past few days. I've been battling a flu that has turned into bronchitis.

I said bronchitis, not Bartokomous

On a happier note, I found some cheddar beer kettle chips at Trader Joes the other day that are quite simply, awesome.

I can't stop watching curling. Every time it comes on I get excited. I have watched three matches today, the last one being the U.S. women's loss against Japan. It's like shuffleboard at Tips (there you go RB crew), except the women are hotter, way less drunk, and good at what they're doing.

Seriously, the whole idea of a figure skating competition is absurd. Okay, that might not really be true, but it's the least exciting thing about the Olympics. And the worst part is, NBC assumes everyone likes it, so it dominates evening coverage. After the men's short program, Russia's Yevgeny Plushenko is in the lead, and I don't care.


Come on. Seriously? You're into this?

Remember the Dan vs. Dave stuff that Reebok did before the '92 Olympics. It all went ppffffffftt after Dan couldn't get past the high jump in the decathalon at trials. I wonder how many hits Nike's joinbode.com has been getting over the past few days. I like watching and rooting for good skiers. ESPN and the casual fan glommed on to Bode Miller because he said crazy shit. I'm bummed that a good skier didn't get it done. ESPN and Nike are bummed because this guy they've paid a lot of attention to over the past two months hasn't done anything yet.

Looking forward, there is more skiing to come. Though I love watching the downhill and super-g, having skied a bit of slalom (I was no Boatright, in high school anyway) in my day, I really really look forward to watching. Men's hockey is going to get underway in a few days, as is skeleton and men's moguls.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moguls are retarded. I hate moguls. Why would somebody intentionally go down a mogul run? It's so stupid they've had to put two jumps in the run to keep anybodies attention long enough to watch the spectacle of absurdity. I will say the athletes that do it are inhumanely built like slinkys and that is entertaining.

C-lo said...

My friend Toby Dawson will be skiing in the moguls competition tonight. GO TOBY! Free shots at the Club if he medals. Woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

Curling is almost as gay as playing shufleboard at Tips. Almost.

And go Toby.

Roscoe Galt said...

Is being gay bad?

Moguls is one of the most entertaining event out there. I know that as a knuckle-dragging single-planker you have a natural hate for them.

Anonymous said...

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

DMo said...

I do not care about any of this. I am interested in free shots though.

Roscoe Galt said...

I'll have to take my free shots at the Palomino Room.