Tuesday, February 28, 2006

PTI: MHR Version

posted by BH

I was extra inspired by today's first Pardon The Interruption topics since they're so, you know, topical.

Vince Young scores a 6 on the Wonderlic- Wow, that's really low, and in fact combine officials have said it's not true. But did you see him in the Rose Bowl? I don't care if the guy walked into the room, crapped on the test, then handed it in. I'd still take him. Based on the Wunderlic, Dan Marino's retarded and he turned out to have a pretty good career. Having said that though, I was on a treadmill this morning in the midst of mile six when Sportscenter put up a sample question that I got right in two seconds.

Buck O'Neil not elected to the Hall of Fame- That's crazy. I know like four names from the Negro Leagues, and Buck O'Neil is one of them. He's the guy that tells us all stories from Negro League days. HE'S IN EVERY DOCUMENTARY EVER DONE ABOUT THE NEGRO LEAGUES!! Doesn't it say something that baseball people today are talking about that O'Neil didn't get in rather than those who have?

Steinbrenner's pissed about the WBC- An angry old fart is upset because he thinks this is the Yankees' year, and his bet is that someone's going to get hurt (does anyone think he's worried about anyone other than Yankees?). How does anything this guy ever says make it in the news. At some point, wouldn't it be more beneficial for the media to start just keeping guys with him constantly, a la Pedro Gomez, so we could all know what he thinks of Raisin Bran, Puffs Plus with aloe, and driving in the right lane?

Iverson not invited to compete with Team USA- This is insane. He was the only guy I really remember from two years ago that actually looked like he cared about winning. I'll take Iverson on that team before any other guy in the NBA.

Now, I'm not an NBA fan. I don't think I've watched a total of two minutes of any NBA basketball this year. I like the numbers, but games bore the shit out of me. Yet, I can't help but notice the train wreck that is the New York Knicks. They're bordering on being labelled the worst run team in sports. At least the Clippers had sucked for a long time on the cheap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, awesome topics. I could blow more smoke up your ass, but I'll stop there.

I met Buck O'Neil in Suprise, AZ a couple of years ago at a Royals/Brewers Spring Training game (When I say "met," it means I introduced myself to him and said it was an honor to be in his presence.). He signed autographs for kids for, like, three hours. You knew a lot of people had no idea who he was, which isn't shocking. However, I was so impressed with what seemed to be his role as ambassador for the game. It's an absolute tragedy that he's not in the Hall. Tragedy.

As a die-hard NBA fan, it's simply too easy to make fun the Knicks, specifically Isiah Thomas. How you can put together a team with a $120 million payroll ($180 with luxury taxes -- the salary cap is $60 million) that is an absolute train wreck is beyond comprehension. I swear that I could do a better job. Just look at my NBA 2K6 team that I put together on XBox (Hinrich, Wade, LeBron, Marion, Yao).

I agree with you that Iverson should have been on the list of 25. Especially when you consider that they invited Greg Oden, who is still in high school.