Monday, February 20, 2006

Olympic Post #5

posted by BH

The men's speed skating 1500m on Tuesday will feature four former gold medalists, all of them American. Joey Cheek, Chad Hedrick, Shani Davis, and Derek Parra. The big news though seems to be the ongoing and certainly media prodded feud that has transpired between Hedrick and Davis. Hedrick was upset that Davis pulled out of the team pursuit in order to focus and maintain strength for his best individual event, the 1000m. When approached by ESPN's Lisa Salters yesterday about the rift with his teammate, Hedrick said, "Is he my teammate?" Awesome event coming up. Four gold medalists. Maybe a U.S. sweep. Why not focus on a little fight in the schoolyard instead?

Freestyle aerials starts tomorrow. What's crazy to me about this sport is that you know these athletes eat crap during practice. Probably a lot. And what's it like the first time you ever actually go off an aerials jump? Do you have to do a flip in order to actually land with your balance? It's not like half-pipe or moguls where you can just find these runs in the course of your day and work up to being good at it. These have to be the craziest athletes in the games. I mean this in a good way.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the record, I'm on Davis' side in that cat fight.

Roscoe Galt said...

Just like that? What convinced you?

Anonymous said...

"The idea that he bears a burden for the entire ski team is crazy. Ted Ligety didn't give a shit about Miller's burden when he won the gold yesterday."

"Miller doesn't owe anybody who didn't pay him anything."

BH - Mile High Ramblings.

Shani went there to win the gold in the 1,000, his best event. He doesn't owe Hendrick anything.

Roscoe Galt said...

I think I'm on Davis' side too. He doesn't owe it to Hedrick to do the relay. He owes it to himself to go for the gold in an event he has been training for since he was a kid.

Anonymous said...

Hedrick is a little bitch. Lil' Bitch. That's what Shani should be whispering in his ear tonight as they get ready to race. He should go up to him as if he's going to apologize and say, "Look, texan, I would have helped you try to win all five golds, but you're a little bitch. If you weren't such a little bitch, maybe I would have reconsidered. Alas, you're still a little bitch."

Roscoe Galt said...

I hope that was a monument to how my powers of persuasion have affected you, rather than something else.

I should amend that "Miller doesn't owe anybody who didn't pay him anything" to "Buyer beware."

Anonymous said...

Miller didn't medal again today. I couldn't... be... any... happier.

Roscoe Galt said...

I'm glad he at least finished today.

DMo said...

Italian Bitches are bitches. If I ever have a chance to drop an Italian bitch on hard ice I'm going to write a post about it.