Thursday, February 16, 2006

Olympic Post #3

posted by BH

Bill Clement and Ray Ferrarro are anchoring MSNBC's hockey coverage. I think Clement might be my favorite hockey guy, followed by Barry Melrose and Ferrarro. Hearing Clement is like hearing Pat Summerall on Sunday mornings.

As I watched the USA/Latvia Hockey game the other day, I noticed that the Latvian goalie is none other than former San Jose Shark Arturs Irbe. He is sort of a hero to Sharks fans, having been part of the team when they really stunk, but also leading them to some great playoff hockey. He seems to be sort ofthe Benito Santiago of hockey at this point though. He's so old and it's been so long since I've heard anything about him that I couldn't believe it when I saw that he's still playing. Is Owen Nolan playing for anyone?

A glove save...and a beaut!

David Aebischer had 40 saves in the Swiss win against the Czech Republic. It's nice to see Av's playing well on the international stage. The U.S takes on Kazakhstan later today in what is likely to be a U.S. walk.

Toby Dawson is awesome. Both of his runs in the moguls were sweet, and I always love seeing Vailies do anything at the Olympics. Last time it was Sarah Schlepper (sp?). I hope everyone still had some free shots for his bronze.

The U.S. men's curling team beat first-place Sweden this morning. This sport is seriously fun to watch. Although it might seem natural to compare this to an ice version of bowling, these guys look like they're in shape and the target is different for each roll. Things change so fast.

Skeleton starts today, with women going tonight and men starting tommorrow. To quote the Kings' announcers, "If you don't like 75 mph head-first sliding, you don't like the Winter Olympics!!"
"Please let me make it down the course in one piece."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the words of my wife when referring to the freestyle men's skater jumping around on the screen last night, "Look! It's a gay pirate!" and "Ha-ha! He fell again!" Not even women watch this crap. Why in god's name does it get so much coverage during the only hour I am able to watch?

Roscoe Galt said...

Phil and I were sitting in a bar watching it, wondering why prancing was such a seemingly key component.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why the skaters don't just do all of the jumps and spins. What's with all of the prancing?

Imagine if a diver wore a frilly sequined outfit, and did alot of crazy foot work with jazz hands before approaching the platform. And then was judged on whether he completed an armstand forward double somersault with two twists.

If the skaters would come out and just do the the athletic stuff... that might be a sport I'd watch.