Thursday, March 16, 2006

Okay, so it's tourney time.

posted by BH

Usually, I get more into NCAA basketball long before championship week, but this year has been a little different. I don't know what my problem has been. But now, we're getting down to business. I have included my "upset" picks for the first round, with probably a little explanation by each one. I will say that the only pick I'm regretting not making is Winthrop over Tennesee. Winthrop is bigger, and probably a little better.

Atlanta bracket:

#12 Tex A&M over #5 Syracuse: It just seems like the Orange are going to have a letdown after their run through the Big East tourney. Other than that, I have no real basis for this pick.

#9 Bucknell over #8 Arkansas: Although Bucknell seems to make the tournament each year, they sort of have the Gonzaga syndrome from the late 90's and early 00's. Good tourney team that shows up during the regular season but seemingly gets little respect from the tourney committee. I expect Bucknell to roll.

Oakland bracket:

#11 San Diego State over #6 Indiana: I can't believe Indiana made the tourney. And as a six seed. It's baffling actually.

#10 Alabama over #7 Marquette: This is a total leap. Marquette's better than a 7 seed and 'Bama's suspect, but each year there are those games that can't be explained by reason. I think this is one of those games.

Washington, D.C. bracket:

#9 UAB over #8 Kentucky: Eh. Why not?

Minneapolis bracket:

#13 Pacific over #4 Boston College: A lot of people are picking BC to go to the Final Four. They're good, but I think that's a bit much. Especially since I think they're going to lose this game. My heart goes with the West Coast team over an East Coaster, and I think Pacific has been undervalued at a #13.

#11 Wisconsin-Milwuakee over #6 Oklahoma: UWM seems to to something each year. I don't know if they do or not, but it just seems that way. Oklahoma had a big win over Texas this year, which probably did something to raise them to a six seed. OK's probably more of an 8.

There you go. I might go 0-7 with these picks relying on little more than gut feelings, but whatever. If I go 5-2 I look like a genius, while going winless makes me just another goob trying to get an edge by picking bad games. Eh.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

UAB plays Kentucky.

I have Kansas, Texas, UConn and Villanova in the final four.

Other upsets: Texas A&M, Kent St., San Diego St., UAB.

Roscoe Galt said...

My final four is UConn, Duke, Gonzaga, and Villanova

DMo said...

I have Duke, Gonzaga, Uconn and Vill. in the four. Gtown makes it to the elite 8. dumbasses

C-lo said...

I've got Texas, Kansas, UConn and Vill too. Sonny, quit cheating off my bracket. And BH, thanks for the Bucknell upset over my piggies. That hurts. Of course, I'm the moron that picked the Hogs to upset Memphis in the tourney.

DMo said...

C-lo, I got your piggys winning a game then ouch!! Memphis woooopin some ass on them. I smell bacon bitches!! Hey can we post our brackets somewhere? Should we have a blogging pool? Just "What I'm Thinking"

C-lo said...

Wow, original joke there, Dan. I've never heard any bacon references. You're a smart one. Hey, if anyone out there is working as hard as me today go to www.cbssportsline.com and you can watch the basketball games live on your computer. The most brilliant part is the "boss button" which automatically changes your game to an excel spreadsheet when you click the button. BRILLIANT!

Roscoe Galt said...

I'm thinking we can just keep each other updated. Honor system of course.

I was going to try to make a sign that said "Bison Slobs Pigs Knobs" for the Bucknell/Arkansas game, but I couldn't get tickets, and there's no BSPN network.

Roscoe Galt said...

In my classroom. I'm watching the tourney on my computer while students work, and watching on the tele during breaks. I feel like a) parents should feel comfortable leaving their kids with me, and b) I'm really earning my money today.

Lunatic Fringe said...

Why can't you do Choke Bucknell's nardS (CBS). That would work, right?

And what do you mean by "honor" system, BH? The word "honor" should never be used with something associated with gambling. Just so everybody is aware, I will be 32-0 after the first round.

I've included my picture in this post just for good measure. Honor, personified.

Roscoe Galt said...

Gambling is probably one of the only activities in which the word "honor" has any real meaning and consequences. I write this without reflecting at all on whether this statement is true.

I've decided that this is my second favorite sports day of the year, a distant second to opening day in baseball.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to note that Pacific was my other upset in Stapes' pool. I picked BC in the hotel pool. I love sitting on the fence.

DMo said...

Hey I picked milwacky of oaklahoma.

Oaklahoma smelt like bacon!

C-lo said...

WHOA! I love college basketball. I had Milwaukee too. And good thing I didn't jump on that Pacific bandwagon that was circling. What a game though?!

Roscoe Galt said...

Fucking Pacific.

DMo said...

Yeah, I'd been pissed if Pacific won. Nice pic Sonny. Seton Hall fucked me though. People keep asking me to do work and it's getting old very fast. Do they think it's easy to watch a basketball game on a tiny screen? Not to mention my dog is running around the office like a cracked-out crackhead. As if I'm not already busy enough. Jeeesh, the nerve of them.

Anonymous said...

I was wrong. Pacific was my pick in the hotel pool, BC was my pick in Stapes' pool. Wisconscin-Milwaukee screwed me over in both pools. It all comes down to the same thing in the Minneapolis regional: Minessota sucks.

Roscoe Galt said...

Fucking Nevada.

Anonymous said...

Fucking Marquette, Fucking Nevada, Fucking Oklahoma. Both pools.

DMo said...

I'm 4-3 through the first seven but I still have a team in all games.

Anonymous said...

In one pool I'm screwed because I picked both Nevada and Pacific, meaning nobody will make the sweet 16 from that bracket. I'm 4-3 in the hotel pool, however.

C-lo said...

I'm 6 of 7 right now. Damn Nevada. I stand to lose a few this evening though. I can't have that good of a day and some of those top teams have GOT to fall.

Roscoe Galt said...

Sondog, I'm screwed in that Nevada/Pacific fiasco as well. As of this moment, I'm 6-2. GW and Gonzaga aren't showing up though.

DMo said...

I'm batting .750 if you will. I got 9 of the first 12. C-Lo, thanks for mentioning sportsline video. Work is so much better.