Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Clement's signing leaves San Francisco Mayor's Office in State of Shambles

by SonDog

This isn't really about sports. I apologize, and I'll keep it short. This is simply the most unintentionally hilarious piece of news that I've come across in some time.

Apparently, somebody in San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsome's administration was so flabbergasted by the 8-year, $80 million contract the San Francisco 49ers gave to Nate Clements that they brain-farted the "what would the public think?" responsibility when he or she decided to declare February 23rd "Colt Studio Day" for the city. That is, unless they were trying to absolutely destroy Newsome's political future.

This portion of the story, pulled from the San Francisco Chronicle, pretty much sums it up:


Conservative activists and pundits nationwide belittled the city after Newsom's office declared Feb. 23 to be Colt Studio Day, honoring the 40th anniversary of a San Francisco movie company whose Web site invites visitors to "come inside to experience the hottest man-on-man action."

The conversation between staffer and Mayor had to go something like this: "Um, yeah. Soooooo, Mr. Mayor? I kind of learned how to forge your signature. And I kind of didn't realize what this Colt company was all about. Really, I thought they mass-produced 40's or something. Um, should I resign or do you want to publicly fire me?"

Here's my political aside: I think reasonable people can make reasonable decisions. On the one hand, there is an uproar over Ann Coulter's remarks about John Edwards (which some pundits see as not offensive in the least because, and I can't make this up, apparently all she was trying to do was to point out that it would embolden Al Qaeda if he were elected... Um, okaaaaaaaaaaay. You know, it's the old, "Faggot-embolden Al Qaeda: Potato-Potaaato" debate). And on the other hand, there is an uproar over the San Francisco Mayor's office deciding to dedicate a day for the hottest man-on-man action on the web.

There's a middle ground here, and I think that's where most people fit.

Regardless, both stories reek of pure comedic genius.

1 comment:

the butler said...

I don't see what the big deal is...are we so homo-disgusted (my new word to replace homophobic and homoprejudice, which I think have derogatory connotations and therefore offend me, so there) as a culture that a guy-on-guy action appreciation day can't co-exist with other various heterosexual appreciation days? I mean seriously, how narrow-minded can we get?