Friday, March 28, 2008

My new favorite quote

Apparently MMA is reaching young age-groups, namely the 8-and-under crowd. Sane parents everywhere, recognize the issues, yet Tommy Bloomer, father of two little scrappers is unconcerned...

"We're not training them for dogfighting. As a parent, I'd much rather have my kids here learning how to defend themselves and getting positive reinforcement than out on the streets."

Did I miss the Apocalypse, then subsequent fallout in which all of society's differences are settled inside Thunderdome? And your options are your kids fighting in your garage for your pleasure or being out on the streets? It cracks me up that the advocates cited in this piece are quick to to throw the "the kids are learning to defend themselves," argument, but also just as quick to point out that there are very strict rules that need to be followed, and the kids "wear protective headgear, shin guards, groin protection and martial-arts gloves. They fight quick, two-minute bouts. Rules also prohibit any elbow blows and blows to the head when an opponent is on the ground." The last time I was in a fight I was, I think, 11, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't worried about violating the other kid's rules.


No comments: