Sunday, December 11, 2005

Top Ten Christmas Songs

by BH

Okay, so I've been a little into lists lately. I don't really have any ground rules here, except that I tried to have each artist appear only once. As you will see, I failed my own rule.

10. Paul McCartney- A Wonderful Christmas Time
-I don't know why I like this so much, and I'm sure to catch some flak from my "friend" Phil.
9. Ella Fitzgerald- We Three Kings of Orient Are/O Little Town of Bethelehem
-The only reason this song is at #9 is because she's already at #1.
8. Little Drummer Boy- Johnny Cash
7. Amy Grant- Breath of Heaven
6. The Beach Boys- Little Saint Nick
-Electric Mayhem does an amazing version of this in which Animal goes nuts, but I had to go with the orginal.
5. Vince Guaraldi- Christmastime is Here
-Does anyone hear this and not picture Charlie Brown and his friends skating?
4. John Denver and the Muppets- It's in Everyone of Us
-So, so, so, so good.
3. Dave Matthews- The Christmas Song
-For those not familiar, this is not the same as the more traditionally known The Christmas Song. The first time I heard it, I had to use the bathroom I thought it was so good.
2. Nat King Cole- Oh Holy Night
-Come on. I mean, come on.
1. Ella Fitzgerald- The Christmas Song
-This version is just really, really good. Like, breathtakingly good

Undoubtedly, you feel that I've missed good songs and included some that are questionable. I'd like to hear about it. So you all know, if anyone sends any comments suggesting that Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! should be on the list, it will be immediately erased. Got it? And Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton songs cannot make the list due to the fact that they would bring up painful childhood memories. Said memories include listening to Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton Christmas songs. They can be on the list by themselves, just not together. Please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you on the Ella Fitzgerald! She was my number one pick for the Christmas C.D. that I made this year. There are a couple of others that I must add, because I always have to put in my two cents...
Anything from Bing Crosby's Christmas Album, Stevie Wonder - What Christmas Means to Me, Leon Redbone - Winter Wonderland, and at least one Gene Autry song...maybe Frosty the Snowman or Rudolph.