Friday, April 20, 2007

Awww, Pac...You Had Me at "What Up"


"What's wrong witcha boy, dem 'roids slowin' yo ass down?"

When I first heard of Supreme Court Justice Roger Goodell's sentence of Pacman Jones, I was pretty pissed. If he didn't play for my team, I wouldn't have been as fired up, but I still wouldn't have agreed with the harshness.

To Pacman's credit, he's actually handeled everything well so far. While Pac said pubically that he didn't agree with the suspension, he also played the part of repentant wrongdoer and vowed to do all the things that he should vow to do in order to "get his priorities straight".

Since the fiasco in Vegas (which, by the way, there are a hundred different versions of this story out there - check this one (PLEASE!) out for all you who are so quick to slap that guilty label on a brotha) most people have come to view Pacman as a criminal, even though he has never been convicted (yet) of any of the way-too-many charges he has faced. Like the Duke Lacrosse players and their rape trial, most of America will associate Pacman with that shooting no matter what the verdict. (cough*Damn strippers*cough)

This morning (4/20 of all mornings, heh) Pacman personally ran a full-page ad in Nashville's paper, The Tennessean. Click on the PDF link on the right hand side of that page to view the actual ad. Nice gesture, but at this point most Nashvillians are ready to see him walk the walk before they hear any more promises.

Could this be one of those situations where dysfunction builds character? Like when your crazy uncle robs a liquor store to supply his meth habit, then the family has an intervention and everyone cries and ends up more closely knit than before?

I say yes.

"We live in a cynical world. A cynical world. And we work in a business of tough competitors. I love you. You... complete...me. "
"Anyone else would have left you by now, but I'm sticking with you. And if I have to ride your ass like Zorro, you're gonna show me the money. "

No comments: