Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Backstory

I heard two crazy things which stuck out from Roger Clemens' attorneys during a post-testimony interview today:

1) George Mitchell never contacted us prior to the Mitchell Report's release.

Excert from Clemens' "60 Minutes" interview:

WALLACE Why didn’t you speak to George Mitchell’s investigators?
CLEMENS I listened to my counsel. I was advised not to. A lot of theplayers didn’t go down and talk to him.
WALLACE I know.
CLEMENS But if I would’ve known what this man, Brian McNamee had said in this report, I would have been down there in a heartbeat to take care of it.


2) They will present a taped conversation between Clemens and McNamee from the day before the report's release.

WALLACE Did you know ahead of time what was going be in George Mitchell’s report?
CLEMENS I did not.
WALLACE Did Brian McNamee tell you what he was going to say to—
CLEMENS Didn’t tell me a word.
TRACK: BUT HE DID ASK CLEMENS FOR A FAVOR JUST A FEW DAYS BEFORE THE MITCHELL REPORT CAME OUT.
CLEMENS He emails me and asks me where all the good fishing equipment is down at Cabo that I bought so he can go fishing. Thank you very much. I said, Have a good time, go fishing. Doesn’t say a word that you, that you know I’m fixing to bury you with all these accusations and what do we do about it. Didn’t say a word about it. That’s what pisses me off.

No comments: