Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Going For A Run

posted by BH

I have registered for the San Francisco Marathon. It cost me $100, or $3.85 per mile. I'm one of these people who needs a goal in order to keep motivated and I figure, why not run a marathon. I'm kind of in shape. I want to be really in shape. I've done a few triathlons. Nothing crazy like Kona, but shorter ones like San Jose where it was a 1/2 mile swim, 13 mile bike, and four mile run. I've always been a good swimmer. I've been a decent biker. But running, ah, running. The Great Satan. It's the portion of the triathlon in which I tend to get caught. I've been running off and on since I lived in Vail, which was about four years ago. I did a 5-mile run on the 4th of July in Mt. Shasta one year. I did all right. I mean, I beat my Mom and Dad and a few other people. I guess I'm better than I was, but I am by no means ready to run 26.2 miles through the streets and hills of San Francisco.


Translation: See the sights while choking on a lung

The marathon is on July 30th. I've got six-ish months to really be ready. For the record, my goal is to be under four hours. That means I've got to run at about a 9 minute mile pace. At this point, I can do that for maybe three miles, but not 26.2. So, you know. I've got some work to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you should work on your tennis game a bit.

Roscoe Galt said...

Maybe you should screw off. Or run the race with me.

Anonymous said...

If by "run" you mean "drink" and by "race" you mean "beer", then I'm ready.