Monday, January 23, 2006

Holy God

by SonDog

It's nearly 1:00 AM in Denver. The Broncos lost in the first twenty minutes of their game against the Steelers today, and I've been on the first-leg of a business trip that necessitated me missing the entire game. I'm somewhat happy I didn't miss a game that will live in infamy, not that I'm in the least bit incredibly bitter over A) the loss, and B) the fact that I missed NFL championship weekend.

So, I get into my hotel room tonight after an evening of networking and business meetings, and I see the following two news briefs about the day in NBA land:

1) Kobe Bryant scored 81 points against the Toronto Raptors, including 55 SECOND HALF POINTS.

2) The Seattle Supersonics beat the Phoenix Suns by the score of 152-149.

Not to sound like Sacramento Kings' announcer, Grant Napier, but, "If you don't like that, you don't like NBA basketball!!"

I cannot express to you the unbelievalbe unbelievability of these two events. First off, the Mamba, fresh off of a 51 point game against the Kings and a 60+ point game against the Dallas Mavericks, scored the second-most points in a single game in NBA history. That, in and of itself is simply ridiculous. Kobe scored all but 41 of his teams' points in the Lakers' win. In fact, he launched 46 shots, with the second most shots on his team coming from Shush Parker (11 shots).

But, in the same night, the Supersonics and the Suns did their best impression of 1980 in combining for the most points in a game since David Stern decided to have a love affair with defense. If you get a chance, you have to check out the box score from this game. The statistics are amazing.

There was a report tonight on ESPN.com that fantasy basketball owners throughout the world shared in the world's largest orgasmic experience after checking their team's stats. The two feats are equally impressive and deserve high praise. (This report isn't even mentioning the 40+ game that T-Mac had tonight. Oh, wait... I just did.)

I fully realize that the main topic for most sports fans will be the Super Bowl. But I could not go a minute without recognizing this historic night in the NBA. To fully wax Walton-esque hyperbole: This could be the greatest night in the history of the Stern administration in the NBA. Or, maybe it's 1:00 AM and I need to go to sleep.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

81 points is stupid. Is there a worse team to be on than the Lakers right now? I think most players would rather go to Atlanta. I think there are several players that could pull an 81 point game in the league, but nobody does because they, though sometimes only a little bit, care about their teammates and that their teammates are involved. If it were up to Mamba, the only reason anybody else would be in one of those stupid ugly yellow jersey's is so they could inbound to him. The guy's a joke.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lunatic Fringe said...

JR, I didn't mean to delete your comment, but you're absolutely right, your team is very, very dangerous with Mamba and T-Mac right now.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around 81 points.

Anonymous said...

Kobe can play; no one denies this. But 81 points is silly, mostly because everyone knows that the boy can play. Also, 152 to 149 should be the score of a junior bowler championship. See, in bowling, there is no defense. Much like the western conference.

I guess I don't like NBA basketball.

Anonymous said...

These are completely true quotes from around the NBA regarding Kobe's 81:

"What a dick head," Lamar Odom, Lakers

"Unbelievable. Is he trying to make his teammates kill him?" Charles Barkley, analyst

"I'll take 'The Rapist' for $500, Alex," Sean Connery

"That's 'Therapist,' Mr. Connery," Alex Trabek

"I don't miss playing with him for one second," Shaquille O'Neal, Miami Heat

Okay, so maybe I made all of these up, with the exception of one of the best Saturday Night Live moments in history. Regardless, the best TRUE quote came from Dirk Nowitzki, who, when asked if he could ever score 81 in a game, answered with, "I really don't think that would be best for the team." Dirk Nowitzki, The Voice of Reason

Anonymous said...

Sondog's a dick. Just deleting people's comments because he's about to be overtaken in the fantasy league. What a baby.

Anonymous said...

I dominate our fantasy league like the Mamba. How you all let me pick up Chris Paul in the 10th round still fascinates me.