Saturday, January 28, 2006

Really?

posted by BH

Currently on ESPN.com, the poll question is "What is the Best Storyline for Super Bowl XL?" The leader, with 55% of the vote, is "Jerome Bettis returning home for Super Bowl." Why does anyone care about this? Shouldn't the biggest storyline be something like, I don't know, the Super Bowl? What is the fascination with Bettis? What the hell do I care about him playing in Detroit? I just can't help getting over the idea that this is a fake story. Like the media chose to focus on it in order to have something to talk about. I know he grew up there, but is anyone really that happy for him? ESPN has been and will continue playing this angle until two days after the game, and it is going to be a constant, nauseating presence throughout the game. I don't know. I'm happy for the guy, but it is not the biggest story of the Super Bowl.

3 comments:

DMo said...

Then what is the biggest story of the super bowl? It seems to me if Brett Favre and Jerry Rice were on the same team heading to the super bowl which was going to be played in Mississippi, it would be a huge story. So why should this not be? Because he isn't a super mega star hall of famer, just a regular hall of famer? Or is it because he's mainly a beloved role player at this stage in his career?

The fact of the matter is that he is the only sure player on either team that will be in the hall of fame with the exeption of some lineman that I'm overlooking. Yes, there are some good players that have a chance to be great but that isn't putting them in the same league with Bettis until they play at the same level for many more years. Other than the same old "young talented player in his first super bowl" story, who else can offer a better story than Bettis? Yes, there is the possibility that in 10 years we'll look back at this super bowl and think about how many great players were in it. But until the game is over, there is only one great player going in, and his last name is Bettis.

DMo said...

That's right bitches! Not even an attempt to argue my shit!

Roscoe Galt said...

My point is that the game is supposed to be the big deal, yet we watch Chris Berman and a bunch of hacks on ESPNews get all moist about some guy they hardly know, if at all. I'm tuning in to watch the two best teams in football play a football game. I'm not tuning in to see one guy who carries the ball eight times who is, for some crazy reason, already being heralded a sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer. I can't say this with any real certainty, but I'd guess that this is not the first time a guy on a Super Bowl team has gown home for the game. I don't understand why the media gloms on to these bs human interest stories rather than letting the game be the story.